Qualifications and skills
Kick-off your plumbing career with a nationally recognised qualification. Get skills, knowledge, certification and prepare for licensing.
Before you start, at school science and technology play an increasing role in water usage so for an apprentice plumber, achieving good grades in Year 10 Science, Maths and English is important. A background in Environmental Studies can also be useful.
A pre-apprenticeship course that introduces basic skills and knowledge for the Certificate III in Plumbing. You'll learn:
- safe working conditions and basic emergency life support
- plumbing tools, equipment and materials
- technical drawings, numeracy and calculations
- principles of sustainability
- identifying employment opportunities in the plumbing industry
- and much more
Successful Certificate II completion can reduce the term of your apprenticeship by six months.
Certificate III in Plumbing (CPC32411)
An apprenticeship course providing trade qualification training and support; classroom and work-based tasks focusing on practical 'job ready' skills including:
- the six specialist streams: water, sanitary, drainage, mechanical services, roofing and gas services
- comprehensive on-the-job experience, manual skills and working in teams
When apprentices complete Certificate III they are eligible to apply to become a registered plumber.
To do the Certificate III you'll need to find an apprenticeship. Also, find out about our Group Training scheme.
Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services (CPC40911)
A qualified plumbing service tradesperson who will work as an independent contractor in the plumbing industry in either:
- Plumbing and Services - Operations, or
- Air Conditioning and Mechanical Services
Certificate IV also prepares you for Victorian licensing requirements.
Plumbing qualification useful links
- MySkills – connects students and employers with training organisations. Also, find more resources at MySkills links
- Training.gov.au – the Vocational Education and Training (VET) database and official National Register of information on Training Packages, Qualifications, Courses, Units of Competency and Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). Note: website has been developed for experienced training sector users.
- Higher Education and Skills – supports and facilitates access to training and tertiary education. Information on training courses, education and employment outlooks.